Saturday, December 19, 2015

I look like Jacob Marley

Do you know who Jacob Marley is from a Christmas Carol? Well, that's  me...

Surgery started at 1 and was almost 6 hours long. That's probably is why I was so nauseous after surgery. I was full of anesthesia. They actually took video tape of me before the surgery saying and doing certain things so they could play it on a monitor while he operated. 

My surgeon and I agreed that the eye weight wasn't necessary because as of this week it's blinking better. I was a little worried at first that he wasn't doing it but after waking up this morning I thank goodness he didn't. I don't think I could take that on top of what he did. As it is, I cannot wear my eyeglasses (ears are covered)  so I put my contact lenses back in. If he had operated on my eye I basically would be blind until this head wrap comes off. Maybe I'll let imy daughter decorate it today. I think it needs some ornaments.

On the left he did a nerve reassignment, which included testing the 7th facial nerve. It is sending signals but as a back up he gave it a bit of another nerve. In about three months we will either see the new nerve take over or the older nerve regenerate itself.

On the right he did a neck muscle release which apparently is a good 4"-5" cut on my neck. I can't tell how big it is because of the head wrap. Then they tested the 7th facial nerve on that side and found 2 branches that were causing the facial stiffness. He cut one but left the other pulled up above my skin with a suture. He wants to see what the first cut did before he decides to cut another. We definitely wouldn't want any more droopiness. 

Unfortunately, I woke up in recovery sick to my stomach, no, let me rephrase that. EXTREMELY sick to my stomach and I ended up there for four hours. My son suggested that I stay overnight in a hotel in Baltimore after the surgery. I thought about that but I really wanted to wake up in my own bed this morning. Even though the ride was a rough hour and a half, I was pretty out of it and I am happy to be home right now.. 

My throat still hurts from the intubation and medications are kinda doing their job but it is nerve pain. It needs to chill.  It's hard to talk but I'm sure the next few days things will get better. I can honestly say that it  is definitely more painful than I thought it would be.

My daughter greeted me with a get well poster and some hot green tea, they tucked me in and took great care of me last night. Right now I am the queen of the palace.  Hmmmm.... I might have to stay in pain the whole week! The kids ARE home!! 

I'm glad I can share my story with you. I'm glad I made it through surgery. I definitely thought about that. I could not say enough about how well I was treated at Johns Hopkins. The entire experience; caring and concern from the staff was amazing. And they are so stinking efficient. My recovery nurse took care of me nonstop for four hours and was so calming the  entire time. 

OK guys, meds are setting in and it's time for this girl to rest. Enjoy your day!! I will be watching some stupid TV but HEALING!  
Oxoxox

8 comments:

  1. I am soooooo excited for you!! 2016 is going to be YOUR best new year ever! Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see that face all wrapped in bandages. I'm so excited for you and even though pain sucks, it's only temporary. I swear the pain from being intubated is way worse than the actual surgery pain, at least that was the case for me when I had my thyroidectomy. I can't wait to see your progress as the months pass. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I haven't reacted so bad to the anesthesia I think I probably would have recovered easier. That really racked my body.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Rest and let your body heal - I look forward to your next posts. (Have had Bell's Palsy for 11 years now) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a second time after 15 years to really be proactive about the residual effects. It seems like we all hide from it instead I think we need to push insurance companies more towards helping us fix this.

      Delete
  4. hi, I don't know you but want to wish you the best and thank you for taking us on your journey. I did not realize Bell;s Palsey could last that long or come back. I had a friend who got it right after her husband died. They thought it was a stroke at first, but it did go a way in a few weeks. I hope your recovery goes well. You certainly were at one of the best hospitals on the East Coast. We are fortunate to have so many great teaching hospitals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping my eye on the prize and using a lot of ice packs!

    ReplyDelete