Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Let's face it…


It's time I showed you what I really look like. It's hard for me to publish these but it's important because I know it's hard for people with facial paralysis to face the world every day. It's difficult not being able to simply smile, or having to repeat my words because they can't be understood or use a TON of napkins to wipe my mouth because my lips don't want to keep food in. Some people say, "You look great today!" and I do appreciate that but it's most likely that I learned how to contour my face with makeup. It also could be that I've been using my eye cream to tighten my lips as well. Really, I do. When you're in this position, you will try anything to try and look right again.

Again, this is not for sympathy, it's only for your understanding. Some of my friends have never known me before all this happened. Some thought I was born that way. I'm not sure if it's ever affected the way people treat me or befriend me. I would hope not- I know that I could never judge another based on appearance. Especially after going through this. My compassion for people has only deepened.

This is a picture of me, obviously much thinner but before I ever suffered from bells palsy. Showing my teeth and being kissed by my dear husband. Shoot, we were young! (mid to early 20's - he has put up with me for a long time!)

This was just last summer with my Niece where I could give a Mona Lisa smile. I could live with this!

You can see how the right side doesnt quite exactly go up so I would adjust the amount that I'd "lift" my left. Knowing I'd never have a toothy grin was acceptable to me and although I have problems with my eye weeping I never considered it annoying enough to see a doctor about it. I think many of us put up with inconsistencies in our bodies that we could probably fix but except them and move on. You would probably would never have known anything was ever wrong if you saw me at this stage in my life. (Edited: BWAHAHAHA!! I just realized the face my husband is making in this pictures. Too funny. God I love him! )

This next picture is very hard for me to post. But I have to put it out there so not only can you compare the progress over the next year but also show myself that it's OK to be who I am.

I took this picture this morning with a full on "smile" . This is as much as I can move my face.  Like the doctor said we need to loosen up one side and tighten up the other and bring back the symmetry. Now that I look at this picture I really should've gotten those stupid little smiley faces on a stick. Is it too late to ask for a stocking stuffer? 

Part of me wishes I could be put in a coma over the next six months so that I could just wake up and see results. I know it's going to be a long process. But I am so glad that I will be starting this journey of healing next week! 

Crap, I forgot to ask the doctor for a nose job while he was in there! Oh well. 




8 comments:

  1. Mia - you are hilarious(nose job) and SO BRAVE! I love you and I know you are in capable hands at Johns Hopkins. All my love! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ thx Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this and good luck with your surgery. Cant wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this took a lot of courage to post this. I'm excited to see your progress and walk along your journey over the next few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. Hopefully will be smirking by March!

      Delete
  5. For as much as I see you, it took looking at the pictures to really "experience" the difference. I have no doubt you will help others through this experience. You wondered allowed if some people did not friend you because of your appearance. I remember exactly when I met you and I can say your appearance never crossed my mind, even once. Looking back, I would assume it's because you have such a strong outgoing personality that I overlooked everything else. Did the personality adjust because of the BP or were you always this outgoing? xoxo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Melanie! I don't think I've always been this outgoing. I would have considered myself shy. But I had started my home based business a year after the onset of the first bought so I actually think that helped me become more confident overall. Although, I will be honest and say that I've thought about it (the effects) every time I have ever looked in a mirror. But the support of my clients, friends, community have kept me pre-occupied that's for sure! oxoxo

      Delete