Wednesday, November 18, 2015

1- 15 years and counting


Not only do I hope this blog helps someone dealing with facial paralysis but it's also cathartic for me to put it all into words.

It's been over 15 yeas since I had my first case of Bells Palsy and on Sept 10th of 2015, "it" decided it was not going to be my last. Unfortunately, the first go-round did not heal all the way. So, needless to say I am a paralyzed mess right now. It's easy to drown with a spoon of soup (I'm not kidding you). FORTUNATELY, I have an amazing husband, family, friends and community who keep me from drowning......figuratively and literally.

For those of you who have dealt with or are dealing with facial paralysis......I get it. Trust me. I've tried to hide, I've tried make-up tricks and pulling my hair across my face and it doesn't quite do it. I now just have bitching resting face or a bunched up uneven grimace. Every night I dream of smiling again and waking up to a miracle cure. Then I open my one eye (because the other one is taped shut) and reality hits. The pain from pulling off the tape wakes me up and I start again.

When Bells came on in Sept, I decided that Wednesday's were the day's I was going to cry and have pity parties.  And I've had some great parties this last few months!! Today I've decided that Wednesday is my Blog day. Do I still cry? Absolutely but I keep it to a minimum. I'm human and I know other's have it worse but everyone has sh!t in there life, this is mine and it stinks just as much.

For those unfamiliar with what Bells Palsy is, let me educate you....
Bells Palsy is a virus that comes on quickly, inflames the "tunnel" in your face where the 7th facial nerve comes through to work your cheek, mouth, eyelid, lips, eyebrow...basically all your facial expression. The virus swells the tunnel, crushing the nerve and causing paralysis. Most patients, heal in about 4-8 weeks, some 3-6 months, others, like me (I'm special) have residual damage. 7% get it twice. Told you I was special. When I say "heal", I mean the nerve regenerates. If you see someone and notice that one side of the face looks droopier than the other, they probably have or had Bells or some sort of nerve damage. It's a cruel virus because it comes, leaves it mark and you are left expressionless.

I have quite a journey ahead of me because of pending surgery. (Yes, it's that bad) But I am 50 and I'm looking forward to not only smiling again but a potential face lift. Technology has come a long way and I'm ready for the next step in my journey. Please join me....

But for goodness sake's don't pity me!! Bell's Palsy is only one aspect of an otherwise blessed life.....

2 comments:

  1. You are brave for sharing. But I just want to let you know how AWESOME you are...people are already sharing from my page to their friends' pages. You are telling people out there they are not all alone. I love you Mia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kind of you doTerraShelly!! So good to hear that it might help someone cope. ♥️

    ReplyDelete