Wednesday, November 18, 2015

4-What the (insert curse word here)

My summer of 2015 ROCKED!! Lot's of boating with friends, beach trips, dodged photo ops...the normal. Then on September 9th I noticed that my tongue was slightly numb. I honestly thought it was my mouth guard from TMJ that I sometimes suffer from so I decided I would sleep that night without it. Then my worst nightmare came true. I woke up the next day 9/10/15 and the LEFT side of my face was paralyzed!!

I will not mince words....."What the FUCK?" came out of my mouth many times that morning while I drove myself to the ER. I was hysterical. I was so stunned that this could happen again that I didn't even want to call my husband. Saying it out loud would mean it was real. This was not real. It could not be. The doctor's at the ER did stroke testing and I will be honest with you; at one point I was hoping it was a stroke instead. Mind you, I have NO idea how much more serious that would have been but at that moment I just didn't want to be diagnosed with Bells again.

I finally gave in to calling my husband and mother in law (known as Mom from here on in) after about an hour of the nurses asking me if anyone was coming. I'm pretty sure when I called them, they were in shock too. The doctor's had to give me sedatives, pain meds, prednisone to get me under control. They did a CT scan and TRIED to do an MRI but I panicked and couldn't do it. They drugged me some more and eventually sent me home.

Valium was my friend. I stayed in a drug induced state for a few days not wanting to come out of my bedroom or talk to anyone. I did not want to face reality. No pun intended. My friends rallied and preformed Reiki, they brought chocolates (those are good friends) and told me I would recover quickly this time. I truly wanted to believe them. And after a few days of some serious pity parties, I committed myself to healing. This was going to be a FAST turn around! I just knew it!

No comments:

Post a Comment