Wednesday, November 18, 2015

3-Mommy's Smile is Broken


You never realize how much our kids mimic you. They are little copy-cats. Here is my son at two...see his crooked little smile? I cannot tell you how many times I had to tell him "Honey, you can move both sides of your mouth, mommy's smile is broken, not yours." My daughter did it too. My son, now 15, told me that he's actually never seen me really smile. That broke my heart and I hid my emotions really well until I could get into another room. Then I had a really fabulous pity party that needed a whole box of tissue.

There are moments in a persons life (milestones) the define you. There is a me before Feb 2000, there is a me before Sept 2015 and me now. Yes, I'll show you those pictures but not just yet. It's still too hard. I call the dates after Bells my "new normal" because I think once you have something altering happen to you, you are never quite the same.

That's my husband of 21 years pictured with my son. He's loved me through all my new normals.


Note: Bells Palsy can run in the family, it is not hereditary but it can be predominant. My mother had it and so did my uncle and they fully recovered. One day when my son was about seven years old, I walked into the kitchen and he told me his face felt funny. I asked him to smile at me and that's when I realized it was happening to him as well. I told him "We are going to take your sister to kindergarten and then we are going to take you to a doctor". I took him to the emergency room where they found out he had lymes disease and bells palsy. He too fully recovered. You cannot imagine my fear then I saw his face… There's no way I wanted his future to be like mine. Although, even in the picture below he is pretty cute with a pretend crooked face.



1 comment: