Wednesday, November 18, 2015

7- Filling in Time


2002-2012 Time passes with my 1st new normal...


After giving birth I worked for a few more years doing AutoCAD for my own graphics company (hiding in my home office) but after 911 hit the work had dried up. I needed to find another source of income. They say the easiest way to get over a fear is to just do something repeatedly. I was deathly afraid of public speaking and I was 2 years into my "recovery" from my first bought with Bells and hated being looked at. But desperation breeds success and we were financially hurting. I had looked for a job but nobody wants to pay more than $10/hour part time and that was not going to make the financial impact we needed. Our commitment to me being a stay at home mom was firm so I needed to figure out something that could fit our schedule.

Thankfully, one night I would meet one of my dearest friends who would believe in me enough to take me under her wing. I had gone to one of those home-based business parties… But this wasn't pampered chef or make up, it was about adult romance products! I was no prude growing up and I've always been comfortable with my sexuality so it easy giving women in that crowd a little advice. I guess Melissa, the consultant, noticed because in the ordering room she asked me if I had ever thought of doing what she did and when she told me potential money involved, I signed up immediately. I learned how to sell "romance products". You know; the things they sell in "those stores" that only men go into and lurk around. This new job would not only save us financially, I would gain a confidence I never knew existed that would last me a lifetime and most importantly a lifelong friend. Plus my husband was completely on board. You want to sell what? Absolutely! How much money do you need?

It honestly helped me get through the last decade with my face partially paralyzed. When I was in front of people making jokes, they laughed and enjoyed themselves so much that I never felt odd. I developed my own stage persona. My tagline to show other women that they could do this as well was "I'm a curvy girl with a crooked face, if I can do this, so can you." Business took off and I recruited women from 11 different states and had some of the best times of my life!  I got to party in New Orleans too many times to count and have some of the funniest stories to share… In fact, I think that'll have to be another blog.

Meanwhile, when I wasn't doing parties at night,  I was taking care of my two children and volunteering as a PTO president. (PTO by day- toy lady at night!) I never made it a big deal in front of my children as to what I did and again I have always been comfortable with my sexuality so explaining to them about their sexuality was never a problem in our house. I guess that was another plus of selling these products. I think I kept the two lives fairly separate and I loved educating and empowering women. Now that they are teenagers, they know what my career was and they also know that it provided for them.

With two children, a career selling toys, and volunteer work I stayed very busy and only thought of my face when that stinking camera came out. But I got good at giving that Mona Lisa smile and giving it the best I could. I am still an active consultant, because I LOVE some of the products for myself... the creams!! The creams!! I know what you were thinking. (Wink wink)  But I do not do parties anymore and only sell things occasionally. I just can't seem to completely close that chapter. 

Again, I don't think I would be confident woman I am today if it wasn't for the business I went into. But I will tell you I am quite mushy on the inside with a hard outer crunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment